Did you know that Edvotek has an extensive video library that covers all of our most popular experiments, from PCR and electrophoresis, to the ELISA and transformation? We have over 60 videos to help you teach. These videos can be used to:
- Help refresh teachers on the preparation of the reagents or the details of the protocol.
- Live teacher professional development (complete with professional development certificates).
- Provide an extra resource for students in their pre-lab prep.
- Allow students to view a specific technique they may not be able to perform in the lab this year (thanks, 2020)
So, for 2020, our top five videos are… (drumroll, please).
- The Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA). The ELISA, or Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay, is an analytical biochemistry technique that uses antibodies to detect the presence of specific biomolecules (i.e. peptides, proteins, antigens and hormones) in a complex sample. These samples can be single proteins or complex mixtures like cellular lysates. In this video, we will show you the basics of how to perform an ELISA in your classroom laboratory.
2. Separating Proteins using SDS Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis. SDS Polyacrylamide Gel Electrophoresis is a technique that allows us to separate protein molecules by size. In this video tutorial, we show you how to perform electrophoresis of protein samples. The proteins have been denatured using Sodium Dodecyl Sulfate and reducing agents before electrophoresis, which allows us to accurately determine the size of the polypeptide chain.
3. Preparing an Agarose Gel For Electrophoresis: Electrophoresis is a technique that allows us to separate DNA molecules by size. In this video, we show you how to prepare an agarose gel for electrophoresis.
4. Transformation of E. coli with Plasmid DNA: In the laboratory, scientists can force bacteria like E. coli to acquire exogenous DNA from the surrounding environment through a process called transformation. The newly acquired genetic information is both stable and heritable.
5. Performing Agarose Gel Electrophoresis: Electrophoresis is a technique that allows us to separate DNA molecules by size. In this video tutorial, we show you how to perform electrophoresis using brightly colored dyes. Like DNA, the dyes are negatively charged, so they move through the gel towards the positive electrode.
Plus… a bonus! The most popular NEW video for 2020 talks about SARS-CoV-2, the virus responsible for the current COVID-19 pandemic. This short introductory video discusses the structure of coronaviruses, symptoms of disease, transmission, and testing.