Our next EDVOTEK® at Home lesson is modeled off of our kit Restriction Enzyme Analysis of DNA. In this lesson, students will virtually explore restriction digests, gel electrophoresis, and size determination using a standard curve.
While we believe hands-on experimentation is the best way to learn these techniques, our Edvotek at Home lessons are a close second. Your students will go through the experiment step by step, plus we have videos that complement the protocol.
Even better – AP teachers, this experiment is based on EdvoKit AP09, meaning that you can use this dry lab to prepare your students for when they can get back into the lab.
When you download the zip file, you’ll find everything you need to simulate the lab:
- The Student Protocol
- The Teacher’s Guide
- The Student Exercise Page
- AJPG image of the results which can be used for standard curve analysis.
- A PowerPoint file covering some of the experimental background
For additional resources on restriction digests:
For additional resources on agarose gel electrophoresis:
- Biotechnology Basics: Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- Video: Preparing a Gel for Electrophoresis
- Video: Performing Agarose Gel Electrophoresis
- Animation: Gel Electrophoresis
- Biotech Basics: DNA Stains
- Video: Staining a gel with FlashBlue
Looking for a different lesson? Here are a few more to try!
- Edvotek at Home ELISA
- Edvotek at Home Transformation: Exploring Biotechnology with GFP
- Energy Dynamics
- Fiber Evidence from Crime Scene Investigation
- Chromatography at home